The Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) organised a one day national seminar in association with Centre for South Indian studies (CSIS) and Indic History Association on ‘Reimagining Freedom Movement: Decolonizing Indian minds to Reinvent the Selfhood’ at Mannam Memorial National Club, Thiruvananthapuram on 05/12/2022. Around 150 delegates including university teachers, research scholars and other history enthusiasts, participated in the programme. The seminar was organised in four sessions out of which 2 were technical sessions. Three teachers and 3 students presented their papers in the technical sessions. Apart from the selected 6 papers which were presented in the technical sessions the organising committee received a few more papers. The programme tried to revisit forgotten episodes of the national movement of South India, particularly of Kerala. Prof. (Dr.) Umesh Ashok Kadam, the honourable Member Secretary of ICHR inaugurated the seminar. In the inaugural address, Dr. Kadam listed a number of initiatives by ICHR to create a new paradigm in Indian historical discourse.
Dr. T.P. Sankarankutti Nair, Director General (Rtd.) Centre for Heritage Studies, Thripunithura delivered the Presidential address and special lecture on historical events of Travancore in very detail.
Sri. Srinath Mohandas, Assistant Professor, School of Ethics Governance Culture and Social Systems (EGCS) Chinmaya Viswa Vidyapeeth made the Key Note address.
Dr. Ratheesh C. Nair, Hon. Consul General of the Russian Federation in Thiruvananthapuram and Shri. Sandeep Kumar P, Director, Centre for South Indian Studies made the felicitations.
Mr. R. Harinarayanan, President, Indic History Association welcomed the gathering and Dr. Sandhya Nair, Assistant Professor of University College rendered vote of thanks.
Following are the papers presented in the technical sessions
- KURICHIYA TRIBAL UPRISING OF 1812: AN UNSUNG MOVEMENT FOR FREEDOM IN KERALA – Dr. Joshy Mathew
- RELIGIOUS REFLECTIONS ON POLITICS: THE TEMPLE ENTRY AND POLITICAL MOVEMENT IN TRAVANCORE – Shri. Deepu S
- EARLY RESISTANCE AND UNSUNG HEROES OF INDEPENDENCE MOVEMENT FORM SOUTH TRAVANCORE – Dr. R. Jayakumar
- CONCEPTUALISING THE STORIES OF FREEDOM STRUGGLE TO THE RECENT TIMES: DISCUSSING COLONIAL CONSCIOUSNESS – Mr. Rohith Krishna
- REIMAGINING REVOLUTIONARY TERRORISM: THE MARTYRDOM OF VANCHI AIYER – Mr. Harishna M.U
- REVIVING THE HISTORY OF RESISTANCE: THE ANNALS OF VAIKOM PADMANABHA PILLAI – Ms. Deviaparna JS